Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Success in the best revenge."


"When I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I bought Vogue instead of dinner. I found it fed me more." – Carrie Bradshaw

Before she wrote a book, before she had her own show, before she appeared on The City… Long before all of this, my infatuation with Kelly Cutrone and her absolutely brilliant mind began. As a rising sophomore, I actually looked into interning with her. But, I decided to hold off on applying until I had more upper level fashion classes under my belt. The very next semester, she appeared on The Hills for the first time.

When I saw her, in all of her black glory, gracing my television screen on a Monday night at 10 p.m., I knew every young fashionista wannabe was going to be emailing her their resume’. So I chickened out and never sent it.

I always knew I admired Cutrone for her hard work, her innate ability to know when something would work or not, and her gutsy “I don’t give a sh*t what you think” attitude. It wasn’t until I read her book, however, that I realized I also admired Cutrone the woman, the mother, the ex-wife, the daughter. She has an amazing ability to trust herself, and not have doubts. In her book she writes:

“…[T]his isn’t a book about how to be a smart businesswoman, because I’m not a smart businesswoman. Frankly, I’m not even that smart. What I am is fearless and intuitive. I’m attuned to the sound of my inner voice, and I’ve been following it blindly for most of my life, without any clear goals.”

If you need a little direction in your life, if you want to know how someone else made decisions early in life, or if you have a passion for fashion and the geniuses that make up the industry, you must read her book! And guess what people; she has a new one coming out in May, ek!

1 comment:

  1. Count me in on that read - sounds like a great one! She is very inspirational, even though I know she'd chew me up & spit me out in a heartbeat. And unlike you, I'd never heard of her until her appearance on The Hills.. Darn, I wish you'd applied before her debut. :)

    ReplyDelete