Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Beauty or the Beast?

“Every once in a while, a girl has to indulge herself.”
-Carrie Bradshaw

Beauty & The Beast is my favorite Disney movie of all time. Belle’s hair is so pretty, and her skin is flawless. I wonder what kind of makeup she uses…?

We all know that I have a slight obsession with shoes (I have purchased 6 pair in the last 2 weeks, see my latest post under the Obsessions tab), but in recent months I’ve become just as attracted to makeup! I had never lived anywhere near a Sephora before moving to Atlanta, but I now believe it to be the holy hub of beauty products! I haven’t totally abandoned Target makeup aisles, but I have some marvelous product fascinations I just can’t live without.

First and foremost, I believe face primer to be the most under-used beauty product in the world. Okay, maybe not the world, but you know what I mean. I have tried a couple of primers from different lines, but actually tend to favor the Sephora Collection “Tricks of the Trade” Perfection Primer. I know people swear by the Smashbox Photo Finish, but that just doesn’t do the job for me.

I have to thank my dear friend Jamie for introducing me to Clinique Airbrush Concealer, without which my most hideous imperfections would be evident to everyone. I had not used Clinique products since middle school and have honestly not stopped by their counters in the department stores in years. However, this little doozy of a product completely wipes away all proof of my blemishes. Topped with a dab or two of Bare Essentials Fairly Light Foundation applied with a concealer brush, this is my savior most days of the year. The two combined are sure to hide any of my faults.

I try to keep my makeup minimalistic (shown above), as I am not fond of the caked on look. But, I do have a few steps involved in getting ready. My every day work look starts with a smear of primer followed by a layer of tinted highlighter to even out my skin tone. Then I apply my favorite concealer combo. Next comes the Bare Essentials Medium Beige Original Foundation and a wisp of bronzer and pink blush. I finish with liner applied to the top lid only, curling the lashes and two coats of mascara. I swear by the Revlon Color Stay eyeliner because it glides on so smoothly, and currently I am using Maybelline’s Falsies mascara. My mascara choice changes frequently, but I usually stick to the cheap stuff, as my budget doesn’t love YSL as much as I do.

When I am getting ready to go out, there are only two differences. Instead of highlighter, I use liquid foundation to create a more finished and airbrushed look. I also apply eyeliner to the bottom lid. That’s it. Simple enough right?

I’m still on a money saving mission, but there are just some corners I’m not willing to cut when it comes to my makeup.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love that you began this post with my favorite Disney Princess, Belle! I liked to believe as a child that we shared a special bond due to our natural brunett roots. :) As for make-up, likewise I have recently developed a huge obsession! Right now my kick is eye make-up. It's so much fun to add a splash of blue, green, orange,... & I've been highlighting the corners with this Ulta brand eye brightener. Justin has said, "You sometimes look like a clown with that green stuff on your eyes." But it doesn't dampen my spirits or lessen my desire for illusive, celebrity style, loud eye make-up!

    And Kelli, the more of your posts I read.. the more I realize we are sooo much alike! I can admit I use the "cheaper" make-ups & I'm not ashamed. Right now I am in love with the Cover Girl Tropical Fusion eyeshadow pack - and I've seriously been eyeing the Dazzling Metallics too! Not to mention that Maybelline's Falsies mascara you use, A-mazing! I think for $5 it's a steal. :)

    ReplyDelete