Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Dawn, New Day

I officially started my new job on Monday! Honestly, it wasn't very exciting. There was a lot of sitting around and doing absolutely nothing. My new boss took me to lunch, but didn't do a very good job of introducing me to people that first day. Yesterday was a bit better. I met more people (although I honestly only remember, like, one name) and got to walk through the laboratories. There are three laboratories that manage the testing for several genetic mutations. I am working with some smart people!

I typically feel quite confident in my intellect, however there are a lot of words being used around me that I am still having to learn. As intimidating as it all seems at times, I am very excited at the thought that one day I will be able to hold these same conversations with people, and actually know what I'm talking about.

It is a completely different environment from the one I am used to working in. I was so comfortable at my old job, so I'm working to feel comfortable here. I am even reading several
books by Dr. Fran Balkwill. Yes, the children’s books. It helps to be reminded of what adenine, thymine, cytosine and guanine are.

My hours are a tad longer and traffic is a bit worse, but I know this is all leading to something good. This position could be what helps to propel me to exactly where I want to be one day.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely the right attitude to have, you are on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you. You are going to excel quickly, especially with your ready-to-learn mentality. And yes, working to feel comfortable - adapting... I'm with you there. I hope the next few days get increasingly better for you.

    ReplyDelete