Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Welcome to Atlanta, Where the Players Play

Lately I’ve been trying to explore this city in which I live. I get so caught up in my routines that sometimes I forget there are hundreds of places to eat; I still haven’t tried here and here. And hundreds of places to shop; like, I want to go here.
So on a recent mission to experience Atlanta as a tourist and a native at the same, I finally made it over to The Vortex. It is a staple in this city and I can’t believe it took me 2 years to try it. I enjoyed a blueberry lager and a burger topped with blue cheese and onions with fried zucchini on the side. It was awesome.

The best part of it all was sitting on the tree-lined sidewalk and enjoying the hustle and bustle of cars in a rush to get somewhere, people walking their dogs, and the view of tall buildings which kept me wondering who works and lives in these places. Coincidently, I have a gathering to attend this Thursday evening that will be at The Vortex, so I can’t wait to go back and try a new burger, and maybe get the sweet potato fries this time.

After lunch, we made our way to Underground Atlanta, also an Atlanta staple. I’m not going to lie, I didn’t stay long. I haven’t been since elementary school and I can’t imagine I will go back anytime soon.

My absolute favorite thing I’ve done lately is go on a ghost tour. Yep, a ghost tour. I wouldn’t consider myself someone who really believes in paranormal activity, but I can get into it at times only because I enjoy a good spook. Under the recommendation of some friends, we ordered tickets to experience Atlanta in a way that hundreds claim they do.

We met at the corner of a hotel that lives in infamy. We walked past churches that now stand where devastating events during the Civil Right Movement took place. And, I think I may have had an experience with a ghost. I know, I know - it sounds insane. But for a non-believer, it all seemed very real. Whether it was just because I was wrapped up in the experience, or because I actually saw this man approaching me just as the lady said I would, it was fun. Regardless of the authenticity of it all, I learned a lot about this city.

I'm going to keep branching out to see what I can get myself into.

1 comment:

  1. I love the vortex, a favorite of mine and a frequent stop when I dated in Atlanta :)

    ReplyDelete