Thursday, August 4, 2011

Happy Traveling

Growing up, my mother's idea of a family vacation involved a rented condo at a beach in Florida so that she could lay on the sand from sun up to sun down. As long as she was frying her skin, she was happy. My father's idea of a family vacation involved a trip to Disney World, where we would ride Dumbo and It's a Small World at the Magic Kingdom, eat at Rainforest Cafe and pick up our yearly Christmas tree ornament in Downtown Disney, and see a laser-water show at Epcot. Every year we did both. Thus, we didn't travel around much.

While in college I had the opportunity to attend conferences in Philadelphia and Detroit. I spent a long weekend in NYC with a friend and went to San Juan, Puerto Rico with my roommates senior year. Since college, I haven't been able to go anywhere (except for Charleston for the lovely Megan's bachelorette party).

Well ladies and gentlemen, I have exciting news. Thanks to work, I will be able to start traveling a bit. I know I won't have much time to take in these cities, but I'm excited to just soak it all in.

Scheduled this year I have 4 trips. The first is in 3 weeks and is in Amelia Island, FL (back to Florida, my second home). In October I get to go to San Diego & Montreal and in November I'll be in Grapevine, TX.

So I turned in my passport application (can't wait to get a cute cover) last week in hopes that lots of traveling is in my future. Someday soon(er than later) I foresee trips that will help me to be a better person. After all, I believe the most exciting thing about traveling to be the opportunity to take in someone else's culture.

Stay tuned for my tales and some pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I'm excited for you to be able to see the world :)
    P.S. Sound like our parents are VERY similar. The only 2 places I've traveled with my family: the beaches of Florida and Disney World.

    ReplyDelete