Monday, February 14, 2011

I want more.


“As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost.
And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda,
buckle up and just keep going.” – Carrie Bradshaw

The transition to Atlanta resident wasn’t a difficult one. You see, I decided a few years ago that a small town just isn’t for me. Not right now anyway. There are pros and cons to city life, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

I was loving this new city and everything it had to offer. To this day, my absolute favorite thing is riding through the streets at night and staring up into the hundreds of lighted windows that scale the tall buildings. It truly is why I love being here.

Still, I find myself wanting more. This city isn’t nearly as large as I once thought. Yes, there are lots of things to do, but other cities have even more to do!

The fact that I don’t have friends living everywhere in America is probably the only thing that keeps me here. I’m not unhappy, but I do often find myself pondering what other places have to offer. If I can survive here, surely I can survive in Chicago. And if I can survive in Chicago, surely I can survive in San Diego. And if I can make it in San Diego, what’s holding me back from Manhattan?

Really and truly, my family is holding me back. Not because they are telling me not to go, but because I still want to be close enough to be a part of their lives. 240 miles is a long way, but it’s still close enough for me to drive home for my neices’ birthday parties.

One thing is for sure, living here has made me appreciate the time I spend with friends and family. I look forward to those weekends in Savannah with the White’s. And Friday morning breakfast at Jerry J’s with my grandparents.

Right now, I’m comfortable where I am. But who knows, maybe one day I’ll be walking down 44th Street to meet some new friends to see one of my favorite shows at the St. James Theatre- wearing Louboutins, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I commented on this yesterday, or so I thought!

    When I think of you, I think of the city. I think of fashion because of the fun-loving, fashionista you are. In my eyes, you are the ultimate city girl! I know you're from Waycross, but it's only evident when you talk ;) I can totally see you in NYC...you could move there and take over the city! Put it this way, no city is too big for you...at least that's how I see it.

    ReplyDelete