Friday, February 25, 2011

There’s no place like home. Or is there?


“If you can only have one great love, then the city just may be mine.”
–Carrie Bradshaw

The hardest part about moving to Atlanta was probably the task of building a constellation of peers with whom I would spend my time.  I’ve never had trouble making friends. Everywhere I go, I’m always meeting people and camaraderie was often a quick result. It never once occurred to me that when I moved to Atlanta, I’d be leaving behind all of my great friends. Seriously. I never thought, “Oh, I’m not going to have friends up there.” Sure, I had fellow GSU alumni to keep in contact with, but none that were people I would share my most intimate stories with. 

And so I soon realized that I had to fix that. I began reaching out to people I hadn’t spoken to in quite some time. I started going to new restaurants, going to church, joining professional organizations, etc. The more places I went, the more friends I made. The more friends I made, the happier I became. Sure, there are times when I think back on the great times I had in high school and in college. But the truth is, those times don’t compare with the memories I’m making now.

I relate to people here more. Not always as quickly, because my southern draw tends to make people feel I’m unrelatable. But once we get to talking, they realize how much we have in common. There were plenty of “southern” activities I enjoyed when I lived in South Georgia, but none as fulfilling as those I now enjoy. There is always something to do in this city. There are always parks to walk in, trivia nights to attend, concerts to dance at, restaurants to dine at, festivals to attend, museums to visit.

I may not have as many friends as I did at one time, but the friends I do have are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment