Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Young Individualist


“I like my money right where I can see it... hanging in my closet.”
-Carrie Bradshaw

The recent move into a new apartment uncovered that I may or may not be a hoarder.  I wouldn’t say that I’m as bad as the crazy people on television, but I found some old Abercrombie denim skirts from high school. You know the ones I’m speaking of, the ones that you had to change into at a friend’s house because if your dad caught you wearing one he would ground you, if he didn’t die of a heart attack first.

So, I went through the rows and rows of clothes and filled up a couple of boxes to donate to Good Will.  As I was forcing myself to place many expensive items into boxes and contemplating what girl may one day be wearing the clothes that I at one time loved, I realized I could be making room for far more fabulous garments.

Since those Abercrombie days, my fashion sense has been drastically altered. I grew up in a town that had JC Penney and Goody’s. Oh, and Wal-Mart. No one in the entire town knew what looked good.

Moving off to college opened my eyes to names and brands I had never heard of.  For the first time, I truly appreciated high fashion and especially haute couture. I picked up a minor in Fashion Merchandising & Apparel Design while in college, just so I could learn more about this industry that was hidden from me for many years.

Unfortunately, I can’t afford to shop at Neiman’s. I just walk around and salivate over the immaculate fabrics that drape over the mannequins so beautifully.

Will I ever be able to upgrade from the Individualist department to the Savvy department in Nordstrom? Every time I walk by a $600 cocktail dress that I clearly can’t afford, I honestly think to myself, “This isn’t fair.” But, life isn’t fair. Or at least that what my parents always told me.

The truth is it’s hard to save nowadays, what with having to look cute and all. Maybe one day the cost of clothing won’t be an issue, but for now I’m stuck looking for great finds on Urban Outfitters sale racks and in the BP section (I’m almost embarrassed to admit that).

1 comment:

  1. No shame girlfriend, we're at the clearance section with you! Thankfully, you have the fashion sense to take those finds and make them fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete